Monday 19 April 2021

Great lines from literature

You may forget a scene from a novel, or perhaps the name of the leading character, but you certainly won’t forget these great lines from famous literary works, curated by the Genretop review team.

“Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.”

'Passing' by Nella Larsen

"[S]he hadn't the air of a woman whose life had been touched by uncertainty or suffering. Pain, fear, and grief were things that left their mark on people. Even love, that exquisite torturing emotion, left its subtle traces on the countenance."

'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula K. Le Guin

"It is a terrible thing, this kindness that human beings do not lose. Terrible, because when we are finally naked in the dark and cold, it is all we have. We who are so rich, so full of strength, we end up with that small change. We have nothing else to give."

'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee

“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”

'Severance' by Ling Ma

"The past is a black hole, cut into the present day like a wound, and if you come too close, you can get sucked in. You have to keep moving."

'In the Dream House' by Carmen Maria Machado

"I speak into the silence. I toss the stone of my story into a vast crevice; measure the emptiness by its small sound."

'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel

For the very best in classical literature, head over to Genretop today.

No comments:

Post a Comment